Responsible for assisting the counseling staff in any way needed. They are there for support and to offer new ideas and insight into programming and daily activities…
Responsible to: Counselor
- Minimum of 16 years of age at start of contract.
- Completion of Counselor in Training Program or equivalent camp experience.
- Emotional maturity.
- Love for children and the outdoors.
- An understanding and acceptance of the fundamental aims and objectives of the YMCA in general and of YMCA Camp Mohawk.
- Able to walk one mile over rough terrain in under 14 minutes without any assistance.
- Able to lift a 14″ X 18″ X 36″ trunk weighing 40 pounds to a height of 48″.
- Assist the Counselor in the leadership and guidance of a cabin of up to 10 campers in the program established by the camp and the Unit Leader.
- Help with the planning and implementation of daily activity areas in areas assigned by the Program Director.
- Assist the Counselor in supervision of campers in cabin, primarily health and safety.
- Assist with daily cabin activities, rest period, meals, planned events, etc.
- Supervise cabin group as assigned in the absence of cabin counselor.
- Assist in planning and holding cabin discussions each evening.
- Prepare reports and lesson plans as necessary.
- Attend and participate in all unit and camp staff meetings.
- Complete daily health form and daily fun factors when counselor is off duty.
- Instruct/Assist in one or more of the activity areas as arranged by the Program Director.
- Complete OD duties as scheduled.
Junior Counselors are responsible for assisting the counseling staff in any way needed. They are there for support and to offer new ideas and insight into programming and daily activities.
She is an important part of the unit team and should feel free to express ideas with counselors and Unit Leader.
A Junior Counselor is a role model to the campers and is expected to act in a manner that is mature, shows good morals, caring, pleasant, and helpful at all times.